Thursday 10 May 2012

Restlessly seeking Recklessness

Those moments when you can't settle, you can't concentrate on anything.... often happens when hungry or when waiting for something to happen. They are restless moments. Those moments when you can't find a restaurant because you are too restless to choose or you can't even watch Emmerdale because your concentration span is that of something that can't concentrate. Those moments when you just want to throw things, or open the car door on the motorway 'just to see what might happen'. Those moments when you want to do something but you can't work out what (and often end up doing nothing).

That's what I thought of when I read the phrase:

"To restlessly seek recklessness"

This phrase has really struck me as I've being reading Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture by Michael Frost . Frost quotes Danish Pastor Kaj Munk who says that the task of the preacher in the church today is not one of Faith, hope and love but is recklessness. He talks about how Christians 'lack a holy rage'.

Perhaps we are too polite? To speak out against injustice might get people's backs up. Perhaps we are too selfish? To mourn the destruction of the world God created might stop us getting the things that we want at cheap prices. 

The idea of restlessly seeking recklessness makes me really uncomfortable, but perhaps my uncomfortableness means I need to explore much more what it means to actually do it. 

1 comment:

  1. Claire, I think that sometimes you are more reckless than you think.

    ReplyDelete