Wednesday 4 July 2012

A bus ride and a little bit of maths



So I caught up on sleep and am very grateful for air conditioning. I have learned the value of earplugs as a necessity, eaten good food and moved bedrooms so I don't have to share a double bed. There are the luxuries....

Before tea last night we had a briefing on what we are going to do in the next couple of weeks, alongside some really nice cake..... We met with a group of enthusiastic pastors and leaders of projects who told us about the things we will be doing.

It' just gone lunchtime here (the same as last night, veg curry, potato curry, rice, ice cream with the addition of dahl - but as Richard said, that kind of repetition is the kind of repetition we like..) and we are resting before we go shopping for suitable local clothes for some of the places we are going to be visiting in the next few days. 

This morning we had our first experience of one of the projects the BMS supports, and our first experience of having to get up and do stuff with a two second warning. 

We visited the Good News Mission School and I got to teach some maths (which took me back...). Children are picked up by bus (along with us for today and tomorrow) and taken to the school - a small hut which, when you thought about it, was not big enough for 50 students! It was about half as big as my classroom last year, which was not big enough for 35....! It was good fun and they clearly loved it, even the girl who didn't want to do hard take-aways was very happy to be there and even happier when I marked her book.... (she got them right).

It made me remember when I talked to my class at school about how they hated school and had to go and it wasn't fair. These children loved being picked up, being fed and being looked after, but not only that, clearly loved the learning and the opportunity they have been given.




1 comment: