Sunday 1 July 2012

Generous Owners and the like....



I'm in the middle of packing for India, lists all over the place that can't quite be completed..... an element of confusion about what I really need to be taking. I'm a rubbish packer, but for this trip I'm trying to be a good packer. It's hard! I'd quite like somebody to pack fro me please. 


One of my problems with packing today is that I keep being distracted by this verse from Matthew, and it's niggling me:


".....are you envious because I'm generous?"  Matthew 20:15b


We thought about it a little this morning in the service. Do we sometimes get envious because we see God at work in places we don't go or with people we don't like.....? 


It's a hard question to answer, that one from Matthew. I'd like to say no, but then something niggles at me and says that sometimes, perhaps, I am........


The verse is from a parable about the Kingdom of heaven - the vineyard owner gives each worker equal pay, whether they started work at the beginning or end of the day. The ones who have worked harder believed they deserved more, but the generous owner believed everyone deserved the same. 


This week I have been amazed at God's provision, and I am feeling very blessed that God has given me the opportunity to go to India to see the work that the Baptist Missionary Society is doing in Kolkata. I'm praying that the team I am going with (Louise, Jon, Andrew, Richard and Rosemary) and I will be given new insight into what the Kingdom of God means in a situation and culture that is entirely different to our own. 







No comments:

Post a Comment