Sunday 19 August 2012

Another Year

I just finished watching 'Another Year'. I don't why but I thought it might be a comedy. It wasn't, and if I had thought about it I would have known that it wasn't.... the end of the film came at a point I wasn't expecting but contained a glimmer of hope in the unhappiness of one of the characters lives.

It tells the story of a happily married couple and their relationship with family and friends. The couple are very much a unit who love one another and who are the sort of people who you want to spend time with because they radiate that love and make you feel good about yourself just by being with them. They attract and look after people who need to be loved and who need to be wanted and treat them with great gentleness and care.

It was one of those films that felt like it could be real life, because I have met people who are both like the couple and their unhappy friends, with similar problems and difficulties in life. I've met people who care for people so much they deal with any intrusion on privacy, rarely showing their irritation. It was like real life because you ended up not knowing what happened to some of the characters the couple met, but you knew that by knowing the couple that they had had some sort of light brought into their lives. It was like real life because you knew the story hadn't ended - that there was still stuff to work through, but there was something to look forward to, even for the most unhappy of characters. 

The title, 'Another Year', implies normality - this year isn't unusual for the couple, different things happen, but it feels very normal. Sometimes life can feel a bit like that - another year, another day the same, same old same old. 

Life can sometimes make us tired, yet this couple showed that despite tiredness and same old same old, the impact that loving the lost can make is longer lasting and penetrates deeper than we can ever imagine, and in ways we often don't notice. 

When Jesus calls us to love our neighbours as ourselves, it's this kind of unconditional love he calls us to. Love that makes a difference, love that crosses all irritation, love that provides a glimmer of hope in the darkest of situations. 

"If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, doesn't have a swelled head, doesn't force itself on others, isn't always "me first", doesn't fly off the handle, doesn't keep score of the sins of others, doesn't revel when others grovel, takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, puts up with anything, trusts God always, always looks for the best, never looks back, but keeps going to the end. Love never dies.'
                                                                                          1 Corinthians 13:3-7 (The Message)



No comments:

Post a Comment