Monday 2 April 2012

Radical enough?

Yesterday I read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745 - e-mail and web use to be monitored by the Government. I can see why, but it worries me. Someone talked about how it is like the government opening your letters, checking what is inside and then sealing them up again. There is something very Big Brotherish about it. It could so easily become an abuse of power. Could I say what I really thought? We worry about what we write on twitter, we worry about what we say out loud... if it goes against the status quo, what the people in positions of power say is 'right' then could it mean I would be taken in for questioning? 


When Jesus arrived in Jerusalem he went into the temple and drove out the traders and money-changers. The people had lost focus. The temple had stopped being a place of prayer and had become a marketplace where people were being swindled. He stood up for what was right.... and the powers didn't like it. 


As a Baptist I am called to be radical and dissenting - looking for a free society and a free church - where we are not enslaved to powers but have freedom to follow Christ as Lord. 


I wonder if I am not radical and dissenting enough. I wonder if I need to be doing more overthrowing, shouting out, challenging injustice. Is that a calling we sometimes ignore?

No comments:

Post a Comment