Monday 6 February 2012

Fear of unknown buses

Since sliding down the hill into Ramsbottom on Saturday afternoon I seriously considered catching the bus to college today. I researched on the internet, worked out how the tickets worked, found the times. When it came to it though, did I catch the bus? 


Well..... no. I'd rather reverse my car off my snowy drive, doing a little bit of shunting as it got stuck and drive to college.


All because I am scared of unknown buses. I've never had a problem with buses before. I've never got lost on a bus (I have got lost in my car). I've never waited for a bus that hasn't come. Buses are, as far as I am aware, reasonably reliable.


When we are dealing with risks, when we are facing change, we need to look at the challenges with a sense of perspective. By focusing on the worry caused by the little things we miss the excitement of the bigger picture. 


Matthew 6:28-34 says that we do not need to worry about the little things. We don't need to worry about what we are wearing or about what we are going to eat or which bus we are going to catch; we can do something about that. God knows we have these needs and will help us to deal with them. We need to be concerned more about God's purpose for our lives. That's the bigger picture. That's the bigger plan. 


So next time I say I'm going to catch the bus I might just do it. Fears are there to be got over and worked through, not to hold us back.







No comments:

Post a Comment