Wednesday 15 January 2020

In music and song

I like to make music. I like listening to music. Music - it’s good for the soul. I’m meant to be going to a choir tonight but I’ve taken their non response to my Facebook message as a sign (or some sort of excuse that leads to the conclusion) that tonight is not the night. I’m a little bit peopled out and an evening in alone is more attractive than having to be sociable with strangers even though singing is involved. 

Music is good for me. It lifts me and grounds me. It puts into notes and words the feelings I find difficult to express because I’m not the kind of person who actually finds it easy to tell people what I’m thinking and feeling. The abilities of others to string together a series of sounds that stops me in my tracks never fails to amaze. 


I have different music I listen to for different moods - I wake up to worship music to remind me that God is with me as I begin the day. I listen to 90s alternative as I cook and clean because I know the words. My anger is accompanied by shouty Limp Bizkit and the like. My flat mood is currently joined by the deep sounds of Leonard Cohen and my foot tapping by Jack Johnson. Sam Phillips brings to mind the familiarity of Gilmore Girls when I need to know all is safe and Lauren Daigle reminds me I matter and I’m going to be OK. When I need to feel deep peace I listen to The Sixteen or Arvo Part who remind me that heaven can be a place on earth just for a moment as I feel the presence of God in the music - a thin place where heaven meets earth. And there are moments where the only song that will do is Tavener’s Song of the Angel  which sends shivers down my spine as I close my eyes and in the darkness I hear that moment when everything changed.....

Music gets me through. I have a friend who sends me songs that have spoken to me at the most difficult of times. She picks lyrics that send messages straight to the heart and hold me when it’s tough. And when I’m sad or insecure or unsure of what I am, I remember the song of God that spurs me on. 

I was reminded again today of the words of Zephaniah 3:17 where times that are better are promised. 

‘The Lord your God is with you, 
the Mighty warrior who saves. 
He will take great delight in you;
In his love he will no longer rebuke you, 
but he will rejoice over you with singing’ 

I love this - I love that God sings a song over me because he loves me. Today it might be a song of rest, tomorrow it may be something different. Some days God knows I just need to know I’m loved, some days I need to understand he’s got my back. He sings over me and he rejoices because he loves me. 

What song is he singing right now? I’m not sure, but have a listen..... because the songs that bring us closer to our God who sings over us - they’re there - waiting and ready to be heard. 






No comments:

Post a Comment