Tuesday 31 March 2020

Isolation Psalm (Reflection on Psalm 139)


Lord, you know me better than I know myself. 
You know when I sit on the sofa and you know when I go for my daily walk. 
You know exactly what I am thinking even though you seem far away. 
You know when I go out too often and you know when I don't feel like getting up.
You're familiar with all my habits and thinking. 
Before I get tongue-twisted on the phone or forget what I was going to say
You, Lord, know what I want to say already (sometimes I need you to tell me).
The knowledge you have of me is vast and wonderful
And I don't think I will ever understand my strange behaviour at the moment as you do. 

Where can I go from your Spirit? 
Where can I flee from your presence? 
If I go up onto the roof (that's not going out is it?) you are there. 
If I hide under the covers (that's definitely not going out) you are there.
If I rise earlier than I would normally do (why can't I sleep?)
If I settle into a rhythm that's alien but works
even there your hand will hold onto me,
Your right hand will help me stay upright. 
If I say, "Surely no one will remember me if I hide away
and the joy of being outside will become something to be forgotten"
even if I hide away for six months, you'll still find me
in the isolation I will never be alone, because however dark it gets, you are there. 

For you created me, from the inside out. You spent time knitting a pattern that had never been knitted before in my mother's womb. 
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Everything you do is wonderful, and I know that, in my deepest being. 
My design was completely revealed to you when I was made in a place no one else could see,
when I was woven together in the dark secret place. 
Your eyes saw me before I even looked like me
And all the days were already written down before I even existed. 
I'm really interested in what you are thinking God, 
Because your thoughts must be infinitely big. 
I would try and count them (and I've probably got time now, so say some people) but I know they are too many to count, even when in isolation.... 
Even if I go to sleep, when I open my eyes you are still there. 

If only you God, would destroy this virus. 
Away from me, all other people and your germs. 
This virus is not of you, but yet for a while it lives and claims to have control over our lives. 
I hate this virus, Lord, just as you hate it
Just as you mourn at the suffering of so many. 
I have nothing but hatred for it
I count it as my enemy. It makes me so mad. 

Search me, God, you know how my heart is. 
Test me and know that I am full of worry and fear. 
See that I don't take out my frustration on anyone
And lead me in your way, which speaks of a life lived beyond my front door. 




No comments:

Post a Comment