Wednesday 8 December 2021

I love it when a plan comes together


"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them..... maybe you can hire the A Team.....
 "

The A Team - reminds me of my childhood TV watching. A crime fighting team of ex-military men running from the military themselves, it was full of ideas and plans and action and all of those things that make a good TV show but don't hurt too much. The leader of the A Team was Hannibal and he was the one who had the plans, but the plans didn't always work out the way he expected, but he had a catchphrase which I say often, because it's the truth of all I aim for when trying to make something work....

"I love it when a plan comes together"

I do. I love it when a plan comes together. In the initial stages of the plan it doesn't seem like it will work, and even whilst whatever it is is happening, the plan shifts all the time, but in the end, so often all the jigsaw pieces come into place, and the plan, it works and I can be satisfied with what I have done. 

One of the things that I love about the story of Jesus coming to earth and moving into the neighbourhood is how everything comes together in such a beautiful interweaving way. It becomes perfect, and is so brilliant, and makes me jump a little inside with excitement. 

I love that you can read the Bible and from the very beginning, there are signs of the Messiah to come, that however broken things get, however much things fall, that all will be made whole again. In the fragments of paradise left after Adam and Eve leave the garden, the signs begin to unfold. Through the stories and the prophets and the overarching narrative, we see the journey towards this moment when the Saviour is born. 

It reminds us that however chaotic things feel right now, however difficult, however perplexing (I spend half my life perplexed), however frustrating, however irritating, that one day, despite all that is around, the overarching story of hope and salvation is realised. 

I love it when a plan comes together. And this.... it's the best plan of all. 

"All this took place to fulfil what the Lord said through the prophet...." Matthew 1:22

Image from flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment