Saturday 28 January 2012

Take the second right

If I'm going somewhere new I will more often than not study google maps, even looking at the signs by the road that point me to the right place. How did we ever get anywhere without google maps? The trouble is, living in a town where sometimes a road is not a road even if it looks like a road on the map it becomes more tricky. You have to rely on your instincts, on what feels right rather than what you think you know. 


I wonder if sometimes I am too concerned with doing things the right way rather than doing what feels right. Sometimes we can get so caught up in structure and expectations and what makes other people happy that we miss the sign that's pointing to the door that takes us down a different route. The Mathematician in me wants a system, a method of doing stuff that keeps the world in balance like an equation might balance, do the same thing to one side as the other so as to not upset anyone or anything......


God calls us to trust in him though, and sometimes trusting in him is leaving the security of knowing the right way of doing things and actually doing what feels right instead. 


I have an Edward Monkton Card on the wall in my dining room that says:


"Sometimes the HEART should FOLLOW the MIND. Sometimes the HEART should tell the MIND to STAY AT HOME and STOP INTERFERING".


Sometimes doing things the right way is sensible, but often doing what feels right is even better......(even if it makes us feel uncomfortable).



No comments:

Post a Comment