Thursday 16 April 2020

Walking with familiar things - Psalm 23 Reflection

It's the familiar isn't it that keeps us going on at the moment - familiar words, familiar songs, familiar faces, routine that continues like getting dressed for work in the morning and Emmerdale on for now for three nights a week. It's the photos that surround us and the daily whatsapps and updates. It's even the daily Government report. 

It's the familiar Bible passages, the words that have been said so many times they are implanted in my brain ready to fall out whenever I need a little encouragement. Those verses prompt songs and memories and give strength and a reminder that there is always hope and that I can find rest and I'm not the only one feeling the way I do right now. 

Whenever we face crisis in life, it's those familiar things that anchor us, that help us to pause for a moment. It's why I have been turning back to the Psalms - the ones I almost know off by heart because they soothe my soul. And when I do so and reflect on those words I am reminded that I'm not alone, God has me, and it will be OK, it might look different, but it will be OK. 

Today I've been thinking about a funeral service and what passage would be a good one to include and I said to myself 'it's got to be Psalm 23' - why? Because those words speak directly into the time of unknown, the time of grieving, the time of not knowing where we are coming or going.They speak of one who is there with us in all the dangers we face.  

So Psalm 23 is the Psalm of the day. And as I reflect on it, here is a version for what we face right now as we literally walk through (or try and isolate away from) the valley of the shadow of death. May this be an encouragement - one day we will feast  together again.  




The Lord is my shepherd, my carer, my guide, the one who feeds me and guards me. 
I shall not be in want, I shall not be left alone, I shall not be in need.

He makes me pause and rest, to lie down, to process, to take in the world around.
He leads me to a place where the noises of traffic have stopped, the sky is clear from the tracks of the aeroplanes and the phone, just for a while is silent.

He refreshes my soul, reminds me I'm loved, soothes my fears.
He guides me as to when to take risks and when to stay in, on the right path that shows love and care to others as well as me - for his sake, because he loves us all. 

Even though right now it seems like we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. 
Even though right now we must hide from those we love because the days are dark.

We have no need to fear, because the Lord is with us - his rod and his staff, his sheltering wings, his home delivery at just the right time - they comfort us and soothe our pain and fears. 

He prepares a table before us so we will gather again once again and feast, he does this because there is hope beyond where are now. He does this even though the virus still rages. He does this because it is in community gathered we reflect his image in glorious beauty. He does this because he gives us hope that all of this will end and there are better days. He does this as he gives us the promise of eternal life. 

He anoints us - chosen, gathered, sent with oil and our cups overflow with blessings - blessings that we see in the small things - blessings that we see in the huge things - blessings that are unexpected.... they're all there, if we look. 

Surely this will end, each day is a day closer to that, and as we journey in the way of the shepherd, his goodness and his love will follow us, for all the days of our lives. 

And we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment