Monday 27 April 2020

Back to Basics

Everything is stripped back right now. Everything. We’re in survival mode in every aspect of life. Survival mode means that we act in ways that at other times would seem simply wrong and overreactive. Added to that we’re in a constant state of being told off. When you’re like me you feel guilty for doing all the things you’ve been told off for even if you haven’t done those things. Like walking through airport security and expecting them to find drugs. Like the constant overthinking when you’ve said what probably isn’t the wrong thing. 

I’ve been told off this week for being sad. I’ve been told off for going out even though when it comes down to it that going out was necessary work. I’ve been told of for trying to follow the government guide, because the guidelines aren’t good enough. I’ve been told off for not eating properly when I’ve been eating properly. I’ve been told off for closing church services when it’s the right (if gut wrenchingly hard) thing to do. I’ve been told off for suggesting that face to face interaction beats virtual any day. I’ve been told off for not been excited about the opportunities this all presents. I’ve been told of for wanting to be with family because apparently family isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I’ve been told off for not being a good financial planner when I’ve got all the structures in place. I’ve been told off (by myself) for moaning and negativity because it’s only for a season and in that season I’ve not only got to hold myself upright but everyone else as well. I’ll probably be told off for this blog.

So this morning when I look on Facebook and I’m being told off again for something I probably haven’t done but feel guilty for anyway, it could be the final straw - or this over analytical brain could try and crawl out from within its place of overthinking to try and make sense of it all. 

In various things I’ve done I’ve come across Maslow’s hierarchy of human needs - the things we need in life to survive. If we manage to make it the top than life will be goooood. The problem we have at the moment is that we’re right in the red in terms of need but we’re focussing on the amber and green. We’re trying to create places of belonging when actually we need to address the physiological needs first. And it comes down to this.....Does everyone have enough food? Are people safe? 

If we answer those questions yes in the work that we do, in the places we are, then we’re perhaps on the right track. And if that means going out, then we jolly well must..... if our jobs are about satisfying basic needs and we’re doing them if we can then we’re doing right.  

But beyond that? Perhaps we’re focussing on our own egos when we think it’s necessary to have to put on the shiny stuff to make people feel good. It’s my mourning of loss of community that’s making me feel most on edge. When the basic needs are satisfied, that community will come, but until then we shift our focus to the basics and we will, I hope survive. I’m knocked out of place because my place is in community, but I know now is not the time to do anything stupid. 

Yes it’s hard, but we’ve got to stop shouting at one another and competing with one another and strip back to what matters, doing what we can with the resources and regulations we have. 

Stay Home. Stay Safe. Care for those for whom that is not possible. And be kind to one another. We’re all hurting now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment