Wednesday 13 May 2020

Unshaken - Psalm 62ish


This morning I woke up singing a Noel Richards song. Noel Richards reminds me of going to Spring Harvest in Skegness as a teenager. He had a ponytail. The song was 'My confidence is in the Lord' which contains the lines 'he is my fortress I will never be shaken'.

This last weekend should have been the Baptist Assembly - when we were all going to descend on Bournemouth and be Baptists Together. It was, as many things are right now, sadly cancelled/postponed and one of the things that meant we were missing was the annual recognition of ministers moving onto the accredited list or 'the great handshake' as it might be known. The accredited ministers this year are unshaken. 

But something beautiful arose from our private facebook group for women ministers and we gathered on zoom on Sunday night to honour the sisters amongst us who should have got a handshake that weekend with our own unshaken celebration. 

Unshaken. 

I've been reflecting on that word. 

We're unshaken. Often despite, we're unshaken, we continue to stand upright. Perhaps only just at the moment and with the help of others, but we continue to stand upright. 

Noel Richards - perhaps your song is for such a moment as this. The words of the song are based on Psalm 62, so here is a little coronavirus version. 

Psalm 62 - Coronavirus Edition

I'm trying to find rest for my soul in God; 
I know that salvation comes from Him.
He is my rock and He is my salvation.
He is my fortress, the protective 2m barrier around me, 
And I will remain unshaken. 

How long will we have stay alert to this unseen killer?
Is it in the air, is it on my clothes, is it in the parcels just delivered to my door?
Surely I won't catch it, surely I won't be shaken by it, 
It appears to take delight in embracing anyone.
It's parasitic nature thrives in living things
It clings, unwilling to let me be.

I'm trying to find rest for my soul in God. 
I know that salvation comes from Him. 
He is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I remain unshaken. 
I depend on God for protection, 
He is the bricks in the walls that surround me. My hiding place. 

Trust in Him at all times, 
pour out your lockdown frustrations, grief and despair to him
For God is our hiding place.

Surely we should be all in this together?
Surely we are all cared for the same?
By God yes, but the world? 
Do not follow the example of the ones who have everything
Do not bed down and forget the ones who have nothing
Set your life to the rhythm of God's heartbeat and align it with justice. 

God is speaking. 
Are you listening? 
What's he saying?




No comments:

Post a Comment